Friday, February 22, 2008

Cell-Sale-Sail

When Costas was sick last week, I told him a story of how our white blood cells work and how they need our body to sleep to work well. Last night he wanted to hear about the white blood cells again. While telling the story, Costas said, "The cells could buy things, because they are cells." It took me a second to figure out what he meant, and then I realized he meant "sale." I explained how words can have more than one meaning, like bat. He grasped the concept, because he said, "like sailboat." He's been obsessed with rhyming lately, but now it seems he has homonyms down as well.

I want to add that I mispronounce a few words. Tom pointed out that 'cell' is not pronounced the same as the other words. I confirmed this by looking in the dictionary. Try as I might, I cannot make the words sound differently. I do the same thing with 'whale' and 'well.' I don't know why I do this. I will have to try harder to pronounce these words correctly so Costas learns them properly.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.